When is your personal data collected?Personal data is collected:
- when you sign up to become a member or a volunteer,
- when you borrow tools and use our database,
- when you register for our classes and events,
- and when you sign up to receive our newsletter.
Why is your personal data collected?The personal data that is collected is used for various purposes. For example, it is used by our volunteers and staff members to assess whether you meet the requirements to become a member or take part in our programme of events and classes; by our database provider to help improve the service they provide; and by our booking system provider to help us best communicate with you about the class you’re going to attend.
What information is collected when you sign up to receive our newsletter?The personal information that the Liverpool Tool Library collects when you sign up to receive our newsletter is your first name, last name and email address. This is done via a third party organisation called Mailchimp.
We will only process that information to send you:
- updates about the development of the Liverpool Tool Library,
- updates about our growing community of sharers,
- and updates about our programme of events, community builds and workshops.
What information is collected when you book a ticket for an event, class or workshop?The personal information that the Liverpool Tool Library collects when you book a ticket for an event, class or workshop is your first name, last name and email address. This is done via a third party organisation called Eventbrite.
We will only process that information to send you information related to your participation in that event, class or workshop. For example, we may send reminders or further details about the event you’re going to attend, or an invitation to send us feedback about the class you’ve just attended.
What information is collected when you become a volunteer?The personal information that the Liverpool Tool Library collects when you apply to volunteer is:
- your first name,
- last name,
- email address,
- phone number,
- and any relevant legal requirements (like First Aid certificate or PVG Check).
We will only process that information when assessing whether you meet the requirements to volunteer. We also enter some of this personal information on different platforms that enable you to make the most of your volunteering journey. We are currently using Google G-Suite, Facebook, and Slack to keep all our volunteers connected.
What information is collected when you become a member?The personal information that the Liverpool Tool Library collects during the membership sign up process is:
- first name,
- last name,
- address (including the postcode),
- email address,
- phone number,
- and date of birth.
We also ask for a proof of address and a proof of ID to check that the information you’ve already provided is accurate, but we don’t keep copies of these in our files.
We will only process this information when assessing whether you meet the requirements to become a member and when renewing your membership. We also enter some of this information on different platforms that enable you to make the most of the Tool Library:
- All personal information you provide when signing up to become a member will be added to our membership management system provided by a third party organisation called myTurn. You can view their Privacy Notice here: https://myturn.com/privacy/
- Your first name, last name and your email will also be added to our mailing list system provided by another third party organisation called Mailchimp. You can view their Privacy Notice here: https://mailchimp.com/legal/privacy/
How will your information be kept?All personal information you provide in hard copy form is kept under lock and key. All personal information added by us or entered by you on myTurn, Mailchimp or Eventbrite is password protected.
How will your information be used?The Liverpool Tool Library may use the personal information you have provided in a number of ways. For example:
- for legal requirements like health & safety regulations,
- to contact you if we require further information regarding your sign up,
- to keep you up to date with developments and changes within the Liverpool Tool Library,
- to share updates about our programme of events, community builds and workshops,
- to contact you regarding renewing your membership,
- to enable us to make a decision about your participation in a class or event,
- to inform you of the release of new tickets for a class,
- to inform you of the decision to approve or refuse your membership or class registration,
- to inform you of the decision to deactivate your membership.
The Liverpool Tool Library tries its best to provide advice and information to its community of members. We may use your contact details to provide you with general advice on what constitutes good practice in borrowing tools and using workshop space. For example, we may notify you when we are noticing a lot of late returns of tools within the community or to publicise awareness about new membership benefits.
Information held on myTurn and Mailchimp may be used for statistical purposes related to monitoring the effectiveness and impact of the Liverpool Tool Library. For example, we may use this information to identify how many members signed up recently or renewed their membership, and what our star (most borrowed) tool of the year is.
We may also use statistical or geographical information from our members. For example, this could be to help gather evidence for funding applications, or for research purposes to improve our understanding of the needs of our members. Information will be processed so that individuals cannot be identified.
Payment informationMyTurn offers Tool Library regular members the option to pay membership fees and late fees online or in person by debit or credit card. The Liverpool Tool Library will only have access to your card details when processing the payment. That service through myTurn is provided by a third party organisation called Stripe. You can view their Privacy Notice here: https://stripe.com/gb/privacy
How will your information may be shared?We won’t share any of your information with any third party organisations, except for myTurn and Mailchimp when you become a member as stated above.
ALSO your information might be shared with Merseyside Police if we find you are not bringing back tools AND not answering any emails/calls/letters sent to the email, phone number and address you have provided us.
“myTurn.com, pbc will retain and use your personal data to the extent necessary to comply with their legal obligations (for example, if we are required to retain your data to comply with applicable laws), resolve disputes, and enforce our legal agreements and policies.
myTurn.com, pbc will also retain de-identified and aggregate Usage Data for internal analysis purposes. Usage Data is also used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of our Service, and when we are legally obligated to retain this data for longer time periods.”
Accuracy of Information held within our databaseWe want to make sure that any personal information we hold about you is accurate. You must provide accurate information when applying for membership. Once you are a member, you must ensure that the information held within the system remains accurate and up to date. You can update your information to reflect changes by logging into your account, or by notifying us in person of the change the next time you come in during our opening hours.
Your personal data rightsUnder data protection law, you have rights we need to make you aware of. The rights available to you depend on the reason for processing your information. The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) provides the following rights for individuals:
- The right of access – Individuals have the right to access their personal data. This can be done by logging in to your myTurn account or Eventbrite account to view your information, or by contacting us.
- The right to rectification – Inaccurate personal data can be rectified, or completed if it is incomplete, by logging in to your myTurn account or Eventbrite account to view your information, or by contacting us.
- The right to erasure – GDPR introduces a right for individuals to have personal data erased. However, because the data is necessary for us to gather information for funding applications, information will be held and retained within the data retention guidelines detailed above.
- The right to restrict processing – Individuals have the right to request the restriction or suppression of their personal information. You can opt out of our mailing list, but we’ll still have to process your information to sign you up as a member.
- The right to data portability – The right to data portability allows individuals to obtain and reuse their personal data for their own purposes across different services, allowing them to move, copy or transfer personal data easily from one IT environment to another in a safe and secure way, without affecting its usability. Doing this enables individuals to take advantage of applications and services that can use their data to find them a better deal or help them understand their spending habits. This can be done by logging in to your myTurn account or Eventbrite account to view your information, or by contacting us.
- The right to object – GDPR gives individuals the right to object to the processing of their personal data in certain circumstances.
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling – GDPR has provisions on automated individual decision-making (e.g., making a decision solely by automated means without any human involvement) to prevent any adverse automated decision making.